Do You Have Any Questions?
What Is A Personal Injury?
A personal injury is a serious, harmful act to a person as a result of someone else’s negligence. Personal injuries can be caused by any number of incidents such as car accidents, truck accidents, motorcycle accidents, or slip and fall accidents.
Why Do I Need A Personal Injury Attorney?
Personal injury claims are often long and complicated, and insurance companies will often protect their own interests at the expense of the injury victim. While you can always file a personal injury claim yourself, it may not be in your best interest—insurance companies have a wealth of resources and professional experience that they will utilize to deny or reduce your claim award.
Hiring a personal injury attorney can give you the peace of mind you need when going up against big insurance companies. The attorney will serve as your advocate, and because they are knowledgeable of the laws and procedures, they will have the experience needed to help get you the best offer possible.
How Do I Know If I Have A Personal Injury Case?
The best way to determine if you have a legitimate personal injury case is to call an entity who deals with such cases every day. If you believe that you have been injured as a result of someone else’s negligence, call 1-800-LAWBOSS for a free consolation. The personal injury team at the Lawboss – Uvalle Law Firm can evaluate your case and determine if you should pursue a claim.
How Much Does It Cost To Hire An Attorney?
There are no upfront costs when you sign on with the Lawboss – Uvalle Law Firm. We will take your case on a contingency fee basis. In other words, we only apply a percentage fee when a settlement amount is reached, or money awarded to you. If you do not get a settlement or award, then you do not pay a fee.
How Much Will My Case Be Worth?
It is impossible to put an exact dollar amount on your case up front regardless of what any other lawyer or law firm might tell you. At the Lawboss – Uvalle Law Firm we will investigate the extent of your injuries, medical expenses, and other damages to negotiate the best possible settlement for you. Each case is unique. To learn more about what you may be entitled to call 1-800-LAWBOSS and speak to one of our experienced team members about pursuing a claim.
How Long Will It Take To Resolve My Case?
Because each case is unique, it is impossible to say how long it will take to resolve your personal injury case. It is vital to complete your medical treatment as the length of your case largely depends on how long your injuries take to heal.
Why You Need To Hire A Personal Injury Attorney
Insurance companies love to collect premiums, but they hate paying out on claims. When they do have to pay, they’ll try their best to pay as little as possible. One of their strategies is to call people that are injured by the negligence, recklessness or intentional actions of their insured immediately after an accident, offering them a tiny amount of fast money. In some cases they’ll take the liberty of sending out a check for a few hundred dollars, hoping that the injured person deposits their check without noticing that they’ve waived their right to sue. Sadly, many victims do just this without noticing that they are settling the entirety of their personal injury claim for this very small amount of money. Insurance companies know that some injuries take time to become more debilitating. Somebody that feels OK after an accident, may find themselves with a swollen knee or sore back several days or even a week later. That’s why it’s important to never settle your case until your injuries have been properly diagnosed and treated. Other tricks insurance companies use include making up witnesses against you, baseless claims that you are committing fraud and other scare tactics. That’s why it’s important to consult with a personal injury attorney if you’ve been involved in any type of accident.
Steps to Take Immediately After An Accident
To increase your chances of success, it ‘s important to get your case off to a good start. Whether you’re involved in a car accident, slip and fall, dog bite or other type of accident, it’s important to take the following steps:
- Get Medical Attention: If you’re seriously injured, call 911 to request an ambulance. Some serious internal injuries have few symptoms, but can be fatal without prompt treatment, so it’s wise to go to an emergency room to be checked out after any serious accident. Going to the emergency room from the scene of the accident will also make it easier for your attorney to prove that your injuries are severe and caused by the accident. If you don’t go to the emergency room from the scene, and notice pain later on in the day or the next day, go to an emergency room or urgent care center to be checked out. People feel most comfortable with their regular doctors, but they usually don’t have the expertise in traumatic injuries and testing capacity that can provide the most accurate diagnosis for a traumatic injury. Wherever you seek initial treatment, it’s important to follow the instructions for follow testing and referrals to specialists.
- Report The Accident: If you’ve called 911 for an ambulance, you’ve met the requirement of reporting the accident to the police that applies to hit and run car accidents in Texas. It’s a good idea to report all car accidents to the police as their report is an important part of the evidence for your claim. You should also report the accident to your own insurance company, being careful not to agree to letting them take a statement until you’ve retained an attorney. For slip and falls, dog bites and similar cases, it’s not usually necessary to involve the police. Calling an ambulance will be useful to prove where the accident happened, and it’s also helpful to file a report with the manager when an accident occurs at a business. Never speak to representatives from the insurance company for the other party. If they contact you, simply tell them that you are retaining an attorney.
- Call a Reputable Personal Injury Attorney: It’s important to get legal advice as soon as possible after an accident. That’s why unscrupulous characters prey on victims promising them too good to be true scenarios to get them to sign up with unethical attorneys and doctors they represent. That’s why you should never accept business cards from “good Samaritans” at the scene of an accident that promise you quick money. You will get much more money in the long run working with an experienced and reputable firm. Call 1-800-LAWBOSS to speak to an experienced and caring attorney after your accident.
What Types of Injuries Does A Personal Injury Firm Handle?
If you or a family member has suffered severe or catastrophic injuries, it’s important to hire a personal injury firm with the experience and skills needed to get you a favorable outcome. These are some examples of traumatic injuries from accidents:
- Traumatic Brain Injuries (TBI): The brain controls the entire body, so any type of brain damage can have a profound impact in a person’s mobility, communication, and other functions. A TBI is caused by a sudden blow to the head such as a heavy impact car accident, a fall from a height, a swimming pool accident or an object falling on the head. The most serious TBl’s are caused by trauma that penetrates the brain.
- Spinal Cord Injuries (SCI): The spinal cord is the highway of the body, transmitting messages that control its function.
When these connections are completely severed, permanent paralysis can result. The paralysis occurs from the point of severance down. For example, if the spinal cord is severed in the neck, a person will lose all sensation from the neck down, a condition called quadriplegia. Quadriplegics are not able to feed themselves and often need the assistance of a ventilator to breathe. Severed spinal cords in the lower back cause paraplegia, loss of sensation and movement in the legs. Loss of some function occurs when the spinal cord is damaged, but still intact. All SCI’s require a great deal of medical treatment and rehabilitation.
- Fractures: Broken bones are a common accident injury and can vary greatly in severity. Small stable fractures that break cleanly (sometimes called hairline fractures) can sometimes heal on their own, especially in children. Compound fractures, where the bone pierces the skin after it breaks, usually require surgical repair. Comminuted fractures, where the bone shatter into multiple pieces, can cause severe permanent damage, prolonged or permanent disability and require lifelong surgeries and care.
- Burns: First degree burns may require nothing more than a refreshing bit of cool water, but third- and fourth-degree burns can have devastating consequences for victims. Severe burns are usually caused by explosions from car accidents, construction accidents and other accidents involving flammable materials. Third- and fourth-degree bums can require extensive treatment with skin grafts and can cause substantial disfigurement and loss of function.
- Other Types of Injuries: Accident victims also sustain the following:
o Internal Bleeding
o Lacerations and Puncture Wounds
o Sprains and Strains and
o Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)
What Types Of Compensation Are Available To Victims?
People that are injured in Texas due to the negligence, reckless or intentional act of another, can collect both economic and non economic damages from the responsible parties. Economic damages are paid to victims based on actual and projected expenses and losses during their entire lifetime such as:
- Present and Future Medical Expenses
- Present and Future Loss Earnings
- Retraining Costs
- Assistive Devices and Prosthetics
- Accommodations to Residence and Vehicle
To get a favorable result on your case, a personal injury attorney will often retain a vocational expert or economist to prepare a report or testify in court. Non-economic damages are subjective, compensating victims for the experience they’ve endured such as:
- Mental Anguish
- Loss of Enjoyment of Life
Texas does not cap non-economic damages for personal injury cases, making large dollar claims possible for cases with severe and catastrophic injuries possible. The best way to help your case is to hire a reputable and highly skilled personal injury attorney such as the Lawboss – Uvalle Law Firm.
The Personal Injury Case Process In Texas
When you retain a personal injury attorney to represent you, they will begin taking action to fight your case, while you relax and focus on getting treatment for your injuries. An investigation will begin to uncover and collect all evidence that supports how the accident happened, making sure all responsible parties are put on notice. You will receive assistance with collecting disability benefits or other types of applicable insurance coverage that can help you financially until your case is settled or a jury comes back with a verdict.
In some cases it’s possible to get plaintiff funding if you are falling behind on your financial responsibilities. When you have finished treating your injuries or have reached a point in your treatment where it’s clear how permanent your injuries will be, it’s time to begin the negotiation process. Your personal injury attorney will collect all of your medical records and send a demand package to the insurance company.
For larger cases with more serious injuries, the case will already be proceeding towards trial, for smaller cases it often makes more sense to try to negotiate a settlement before filing a lawsuit. Your attorney will advise you of any settlement offers that are extended and either recommend that you accept them or advise you to hold out for more money. It is always the client’s decision whether or not to accept a settlement offer. If the insurance company does not extend an acceptable offer, the case will proceed to trial, but it’s important to remember that it’s still unlikely that it will actually go to a verdict. The vast majority of cases are settled before a jury comes back with a verdict, including on the eve of trial.