LAWBOSS Houston, TX
Auto Accidents in Houston
Houston is the largest city in the South, and the 4th largest in the United States. It has a population of about 2.5 million people and is growing rapidly, with the expectation of 72% more growth before the year 2040. Houston has very little public transportation, relying heavily on it’s increasingly clogged road network. According to the Houston Chronicle, Houston’s roads are the deadliest in the country, with close to a thousand fatalities a year. If you’re injured in a traffic accident in Houston, it’s important to choose an experienced and reputable Houston auto accident attorney to handle your case. Call 1-800-LAWBOSS to schedule a free in person or virtual consultation.
Types of Auto Accidents In Houston
There are many different types of collisions on the busy streets of Houston, but these are the most common:
- Failure To Yield Accidents
- Pedestrian Accidents
- Hit and Run Accidents
- Side Impact Accidents
- Chain Reaction Collisions
- Head On Collisions
- Distracted Driving Accidents
- Drunk Driving Accidents
- Rollover Accidents
- Uber/Lyft/Taxi Accidents
What Damages Are Available For Victims of Auto Accidents In Houston?
Texas allows victims of negligent drivers that are injured on it’s roads to collect monetary damages for the responsible parties as compensation for their losses due to the accident.
Economic damages are costs that can be mathematically calculated. These are some examples of economic damages from auto accidents:
- Present and future medical expenses, including hospitalization, rehabilitation, therapy, medications and prosthetics;
- Lost Income and/or Wages;
- Loss of Future Earning Capacity;
- Property Damage, including cost to repair vehicle and repair or replacement of personal property;
These are intangible losses that cannot be precisely calculated that compensate victims for the damage done to their lives by the accident. The awards and settlements for noneconomic damages can be very high when victims have suffered severe or catastrophic injuries. These are some of the types of non-economic damages that can be awarded in auto accident cases:
- Pain and suffering;
- Loss of consortium;
- Loss of companionship or affection;
- Emotional anguish and distress;
- Psychological impact of disfigurement and
- Decrease in enjoyment of life.
Punitive damages are available to victims of car accidents in Houston. They are called “exemplary damages” in Texas and are awarded to punish a person that acted with recklessness, gross negligence or malice causing your injuries. These damages can be awarded in addition to economic and noneconomic damages.
What To Do After An Auto Accident In Houston
If you’ve been injured in an auto accident in Houston, the first thing to do is make attend to the health and safety of yourself and others at the scene. Dial 911 so that the police and an ambulance are on their way as soon as possible. If anybody is trapped in a vehicle or has substantial difficulty moving their body, wait for help to arrive before moving them, unless it seems imminent that the vehicle will catch fire or explode. If you are able to do so, it’s helpful to document how the accident happened while waiting for the police and an ambulance. Take photos and videos of the following:
- The positions of all vehicles involved, including road signs and other landmarks that show where the accident happened;
- The damage to all involved vehicles;
- The damage to property such as a fence or railing;
- Skidmarks on the road;
- The injuries of all persons involved;
- A surveillance camera (so the owner can be ascertained and the footage obtained;)
When the police arrive, be sure to tell them your version of how the accident happened. Don’t forget to tell them that you are injured and need to take the ambulance to the emergency room. If you don’t take the ambulance to the emergency room, the police may indicate on the report that you were not injured.
Types of Injuries From Auto Accidents
Auto accidents in Houston can cause many types of severe or catastrophic injuries such as:
- Traumatic Brain Injuries: Head trauma can cause damage to the brain, loss of cognitive abilities and the limitations on the ability to control bodily functions.
- Lacerations and Disfiguring Scars: High speed collisions and rollovers can cause victims to be ejected from vehicles leading to severe lacerations and road rash that requires plastic surgery.
- Broken Bones: Hairline, simple or compound fractures are common injuries from car accidents. Some compound fractures require major surgery to treat.
- Spinal Cord Injuries: Serious spinal cord injuries can result in paralysis to the parts of the body that are below the level of the injury.
- Traumatic Amputations: Serious crashes can cause parts of the vehicles to become crushed with the occupants inside. This can cause a traumatic amputation of a body part that may need to be quickly reattached or require a prosthetic.
- Soft Tissue Injuries: Damage to the soft tissues of the neck, back, legs, arms or other parts of the body can be painful and require months or even years of therapy to regain full use without pain.
Houston Auto Accident Attorney
If you’re injured in a car accident in Houston, it’s important to make sure that claims are filed against all possible defendants before deadlines expire. It’s important to hire an experienced and reputable Houston auto accident attorney to get the highest amount of compensation possible for your injuries. A top firm will make sure that the medical evidence for your case is well documented and will hire the best experts to testify on your behalf. Issues of liability are most likely to be resolved in your favor with highly trained attorneys arguing on your behalf, and accident reconstruction experts waiting in the wings. When insurance companies find out that you’re represented by LAWBOSS, they usually make high settlement offers quickly because they know that LAWBOSS will take your case to a jury to get you the money you deserve for your medical bills, lost earnings, pain, suffering and mental anguish. LAWBOSS is the to auto accident attorney in Houston, offering a free in person or remote consultation. Call 1-800-LAWBOSS to make an appointment for a free in person or virtual consultation.
The LAWBOSS team can handle all types of personal injury cases in Houston and surrounding areas:
Truck accident injury
Pickup truck accident
DWI/DUI Drunk driving injury