Dallas Texas Bicycle Accident Lawyer
A mild climate and moderate density means that residents of major cities in Texas like Houston, San Antonio and Dallas can depend on cycling for exercise and transportation twelve months of the year. As more people take to the streets of Texas on their bikes, there is a commensurate increase in the number of bicycle accidents caused by motorists and defects on the road. If you have an accident while cycling around Texas, it’s important to speak to an experienced Texas bicycle accident attorney to see if you have a claim.
When a motorist causes an accident by opening their door immediately in front of a cyclist’s path, it’s calling “car dooring” or “dooring.” This type of accident is most common in urban areas where cars are parallel parked next to a sidewalk. The accident happens because drivers or passengers forget to check over their shoulder for cyclists before opening their door to exit their vehicle. Dooring accidents are at their peak in Texas cities that are promoting cycling. The increasing number of bikes on the road and drivers that are not accustomed to sharing the roads with bikes inevitably leads to dooring accidents. Dooring accidents can cause severe or even catastrophic injuries, especially since Texas does not require that people over the age of eighteen wear helmets while riding their bike. When cyclists are thrown from their bikes the following injuries can result:
- Traumatic Brain Injuries (TBI) such as concussions, skull fractures, brain contusions with loss of cognition, coma or brain death;
- Broken Bones with displacement and requiring surgical repair;
- Traumatic Amputations and
- Lacerations and road rash with disfiguring scars.
When drivers back out of residential driveways or parking spots they don’t always check carefully for bicyclists on the road. These are usually low speed accidents, but due to the lack of protection for the bicycle rider, especially when they are not wearing a helmet, the injuries backup accident can still be serious. When drivers don’t keep a proper lookout for cyclists, they are liable for the injuries sustained by the injured riders. Insurance companies will try to convince injured cyclists that they don’t have a claim or offer them only a small amount for the claim. That’s why you need to speak to an experienced Texas bicycle accident lawyer after a bicycle accident to discuss your claim. The Uvalle Law Firm, Lawboss.com offers a free consultant for bicycle accident cases. Call 1-800-LAWBOSS to schedule a free in person or remote consultation.
High Speed Passing Accidents
Motorists often become impatient with sharing the road with cyclists, especially on narrow two lane stretches. When motorists don’t slow down sufficiently and fail to leave enough space when passing cyclists, they can cause the rider to be thrown from their bike or run off the road. These accidents can cause serious or catastrophic injuries to cyclists that can require the assistance of a helicopter to take victims to the nearest Level One trauma center. That’s why it’s important to contact the experienced attorneys at 1-800-LAWBOSS that can help you collect what you deserve from the negligent driver.
Children on Bikes
The law recognizes the lack of maturity of children, so extra caution should always be taken when driving near children riding their bikes. Drivers are expected to use common sense and drive well below the speed limit in residential areas where children are likely to be riding bikes. Any accident involving a motorist and a child will tend to reflect very badly on the motorist, even if the child was partially at fault. Children under 18 are required to wear a helmet when they ride their bike in Texas, but they can still sustain serious injuries from dooring, passing and backup accidents.
Parking lots, owners of driveways, and municipalities are required to keep roadways in a safe condition for cyclists. When cracks or potholes cause bicycle riders to be injured, claims can be made against the responsible parties.
At your initial consultation with the Uvalle Law Firm, Lawboss.com we’ll go over every detail of the accident so that a claim can be made against all responsible parties. Call 1-800-LAWBOSS to schedule a free in person or virtual consultation.
What To Do After A Bike Accident
- Stay At The Scene: Don’t leave before you tell the police how the accident happened. It’s also important to take photos and videos that establish the positions of all vehicles involved and their damage. If the accident was caused by a pothole or other defect, try to get close-ups of the defect and wide-angle shots that establish the location. You should accept the invitation to take an ambulance to the nearest emergency room to be thoroughly examined. Some internal injuries are not immediately symptomatic but can be fatal if left untreated.
- Get Medical Treatment: If you were seen at the emergency room be sure to get all the follow up treatment that was recommended. In some cases, the pain will not appear until a few hours later, or even a few days after an accident. It’s important to be seen by a doctor as soon as possible once you realize you’re injured. It’s better for your health and your potential bicycle accident case.
- Gather Evidence: Don’t throw away your bicycle even if it cannot be repaired. A mangled bike can be great evidence for your case. It’s also better not to repair your bicycle, but if you must, be sure to take many pictures of its condition before you fix it. Take photos of any bruises or scars that you sustained throughout your recovery, making sure to keep them in a safe place. Keep the names and addresses for all doctors, therapists, and testing facilities, so that your Texas bicycle accident lawyer can easily obtain their reports.
- Police Report: If important to follow up to get a copy of the report the police took after your accident. You can contact the local law enforcement agency that took the report or use the online services for the Texas Department of Transportation to obtain your report. You should give a copy of this report to your Texas bicycle accident attorney as soon as you get it.
- Report The Accident: Report the accident to your own insurance company, but do not speak to the insurance company for any other vehicle.
- Hire The Best Attorney: There are many personal injury attorneys in Texas that claim to be bicycle accident attorneys, but you’re not going to get justice unless you choose your attorney carefully. You want to hire an attorney who has a great deal of experience with bicycle accident cases and a strong reputation for getting high settlements and verdicts.
What Types Of Compensation Are Available for Bicycle Accidents?
Uvalle Law Firm, Lawboss.com can help you obtain justice for your bicycle accident injuries. These are the types of compensation available for your claim:
- Past and future medical costs including hospitals, doctors, therapists, devices, transportation, prescriptions, and long-term care;
- Lost earnings and decreased future earnings, including the cost of training for a new career;
- Pain and Suffering caused by the injuries themselves and medical treatments such as surgery.
- Psychological injuries from disfigurement, damage to social life, and career.
In order to make sure there’s justice for you, we will leave no stone unturned to uncover sources of insurance, including pursuing underinsurance claims.
Proving Fault For A Dallas, TX Bicycle Accident
In Texas, a plaintiff cannot recover if they are found to be more than 50% at fault for an accident. Motorists often lie to protect their insurance rates after an accident, but the best lawyers know how to prove what really happened. In some cases, it might be necessary to hire an accident reconstruction expert to show a jury that there’s only one possible way that the accident happened. In other cases, lines of questioning can be used that reveal that somebody is lying. That’s why it’s important to hire the most experienced Texas bicycle accident attorney that knows how to prove your case properly. The Uvalle Law Firm, Lawboss.com is a trusted Texas bicycle accident attorney. Call 1-800-LAWBOSS to schedule a free in person or virtual consultation.
Texas Bicycle Accident Lawyer
When a bicycle is hit by a car, the injuries sustained by the rider can be serious, catastrophic, or even fatal. Bicyclists can also sustain severe and disfiguring injuries from defects in the roadway that cause them to be thrown from their bike. Insurance companies don’t take people seriously when they make claims on their own. That’s why cyclists that are injured by the negligence of cars, trucks, motorcycles, or defects on the roadways need an experienced Texas bicycle accident lawyer to help them collect what they’re entitled to. The Uvalle Law Firm, Lawboss.com is a trusted motorcycle accident lawyer in Texas. Call 1-800-LAWBOSS to book a free in person or virtual consultation.
If you’ve been injured in a bike or bicycle accident, call 1-800-LAWBOSS today to see what your case could be worth
See How Much Your Bicycle Accident Case Is Potentially Worth
Get a Free Dallas Bicycle Accident Case Review Today!
The most common type of personal injury, is an accident on the road usually by a distracted driver. At Uvalle Law Firm, we handle all types of bicycle accidents, motor vehicle accidents, car wrecks, and car crashes.
So whether you or a loved one has been injured in a bicycle accident, truck accident, car accident or motorcycle accident, we can help. Call us to get a FREE case review, or fill out a contact form and we will get back to you quickly. The insurance companies don’t fight fair, and are ok giving you a lot less money than you deserve, we won’t let that happen to you. Call 1-800-LAWBOSS today, and recover what’s fair.